Friday, May 31, 2013

E.A.A. (Enhanced Abilities Anonymous) - Chapter 7

Previously on E.A.A.

There was an ice cream shop next to a park a few blocks away. Violet ordered a double scoop of mint chocolate chip and Kent ordered caramel swirl. Without a word, and knowing Kent would follow, Violet walked out of the ice cream shop and to the park. She walked along the paths until she got to a bench near a fountain. He expected her to sit on the bench, as most people in the park do, but she sat on the wide cement wall of the fountain.

Kent sat down next to her and watched the families playing in the grass. It suddenly occurred to him just how many plants there were. Did each blade of grass count as one? Because he read once that grass all links together with the same root system, but he wasn’t sure if that was scientific or poetic. Then there were all the trees, and the rose bushes and the other bushes that he didn’t know the name of. The dandilions, did the grass hate them as much as lawn owners did?

He glanced over at Violet, sure he wanted to ask her questions, but if he were in her place he won’t want any questions.

“This is weird.” Violet stated.

“Your ice cream?”

She rolled her eyes. “No, you not asking me endless questions about plants.”

“I’m sure people talk to you about other things.”

“Not people who just found out and I just met.” She looked at him, again giving him the impression that she was sizing him up. “Would you mind if I told you? Not in any expectation that you have to explain yourself, but that in telling you, I can feel like you want to talk about other things.”

“I guess.” He had never met anyone who wanted questions, though he was never really in a situation with people who had useless abilities like himself.

Violet took a breath. “The grass generally speaks in unison, which is good, because if each one had something different to say, I’d probably go insane. This grass is fairly quiet, the park is nice, it’s not manicured like the rich peoples’ lawns, so it doesn’t feel privileged or too good to be stepped on.” She ventured a look up at Kent to judge his reaction, most people looked terrified at this point.

“What’s it saying, now?”

“Mostly just what’s happening, grass isn’t very clever. Some of it is upset because of a picnic blanket, some was pooped on by a dog. The usual.” She paused. “I guess it’s not really like speaking, like we’re doing, it’s more of an impression of what they would say.”

“And you can always hear it?”

She nodded. “That’s why I’m usually listening to music.”

“What’s your favorite to listen to?”

“The plants at the retirement center my grandmother lives in.” She nodded as though agreeing with herself. “They give the impression of gossipy old women, like The Golden Girls.”

Kent’s eyebrows drew together in slight confusion. “I meant music.”

Violet’s laugh was amazing, soft and genuine and free. “I’ve been listening to a lot of fiddle, banjo folk…with some speed metal thrown in when I need to get up early in the morning.” She looked at Kent. “Sorry.”

He smiled along with her. “The plant version is good to know, too.” He looked out over the park. “I guess it’s my turn.”

“Not if you don’t want to.”

“Honesty goes both ways.” He shrugged. “My butt glows, more like a flashlight beam rather than a glow stick.” He looked down at his lap. “Usually I can turn it on when I want, but most often I just goes on by itself.”

Violet nodded then reached out and took his hand. “Thanks for telling me.”

He nodded.

“I have to visit my grandmother tomorrow, and her plants.” She got a small smile out of Kent. “But I’d like to see you again the next day. Maybe we can go bowling or something.”

He looked up and turned to her. “You want to see me again?”

“Unless you’re not into me.”

“No! I mean, bowling sounds great.” He blushed. “I’m not used to drawing attention to myself, especially after I explain my inner glow.”

“I figure anyone who follows up my plant explanation by asking about music, is definitely someone special.” She smirked. “Besides, I think you’re fairly handsome.” She hopped down off the fountain. “See you later, Kent.”

He was speechless. He watched her put her headphones on and walk away. By the time he couldn’t see her any longer, he had moved from disbelief of what just happened to panic over the upcoming bowling. He needed help. He was in way over his head.

Kent did the only logical thing, he took out his phone and dialed. “Imogene? I think I’m going on a date.”

He went back to his apartment and waited anxiously for Imogene to finish work and come over. Imogene knocked on the door. When Kent opened it she jumped into his arms in uncontained glee.

“Kent! I’m so proud of you! A date, a real date?” She beamed and squeezed him tight.

“Can’t. Breathe.” He struggled out of her grasp. “As for the realness of the date, I don’t know. We’re going bowling.”

She couldn’t stop smiling as she pulled him to the couch. “You found her all on your own? Is she nice? Is she pretty? Did you tell her she’s pretty?”

“Imogene. I just need to know what to do.” He sunk into the couch.

“Tell me about her and I’ll help you.” She smiled evilly.

“I met her at the meeting you told me about, her name is Violet, she’s pretty.” He answered it all in a monotone. “Help me.”

“Just be yourself.”

He looked at Imogene, trying to figure out if he was missing something.

She grabbed Kent’s hand. “She obviously likes you for things you’ve done so far, so you probably don’t have to do anything to win her over. Just be you.”

“Be me?”

“Yeah.” She sighed. “Do you want to go bowling and practice with me as Violet?”

He feigned horror. “No! It’d be like dating my sister.”

“You don’t have a sister.”

He smiled. “Oh yeah.”

Imogene punched his shoulder. “Just be like this, like you are with me. Don’t doubt yourself so much.” She grabbed the remote. “There’s a crappy horror movie on, want to join me?”

“I’ll get the beer.” He got up and went to the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment